Thursday, 10 August 2017

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend


By:Katarina Bivald
Published: August 25th, 2015
Publisher: Bond Street Books
Source: Recommended/ Present
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis

A debut novel to charm all readers, that shows beyond all doubt that it's books, along with love, that make the world go round.
It all began with a correspondence between two quite different women: 28-year-old Sara from Haninge, Sweden, and 65-year-old Amy from the small town of Broken Wheel, Iowa. After years of exchanging books, letters and thoughts on the meaning of literature and life, Sara, mousy, disheveled, who has never been anywhere in her life--has really lived only for her work in a beloved bookshop, which has just closed its doors for the last time--bravely decides to accept her unknown friend's invitation to visit. But when she arrives, she finds her house empty, the funeral guests just heading home. . .(x)

My Thoughts

This book was recommended to me by a very good friend. She told me that it was a perfect "university read", something we are both always looking for!
A university read has to be interesting enough to keep the reader engaged, but it can't have too many crazy plot twists because then you end up with no sleep and a cranky next day! So it needs to have characters that you can relate to and want to read about, with an interesting and compelling plot. A lot of the times, I like my university reads to be fun and more on the light hearted side of things (because school is sad enough as it is!)

The Readers of Broken Wheel was everything a university read needs to be and more! Right from that first letter from Amy, when she talks about An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott I KNEW this book was going to be my kind of book. (I LOVE all of Alcott's book including AOFG) What could be more compelling than a book about books and the power of the connections forged by stories? 

The characters of Broken Wheel were so compelling and interesting, I always wanted to read another chapter. I grew up in a small community and it wasn't particularly broken, but the vibe and feel of a small town was completely captured in this story. In a way they also reminded me a lot of Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls (which I've been binge-watching) 

I enjoyed the format of the book especially that the chapters were shorter and from various town members perspectives with letters from Amy to Sara interspersed throughout. Also every single book I've read by a Swedish author has be amazing! I wonder what they've got in the water over there?

I would highly recommend this book to any and all book lovers, as well as to anyone who is looking for a "university read". 

No comments:

Post a Comment