Saturday, 22 July 2017

Unpopular Opinion- ACOTAR


So here it is- I didn't like A Court of Thorns and Roses, to the point that I know I won't be reading the rest of the series. And the thing that made me dislike it was the relationship between Feyre and Rhysand- or rather Rhysand's treatment of Feyre.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy parts of Maas's  other series Throne of Glass. But part of the story in ACOTAR (and a pretty significant part) just gave me the creeps.
I know a lot of people think that Rhysand and Feyre make a cute couple and want them to be together- which I totally disagree with. I just feel like there is such a big power imbalance between them that they cannot ever have a healthy, equal relationship. And then there's the way he treats her Under The Mountain.

Rhys drugs Feyre repeatedly and has her dance suggestively for the other fey. He makes her wear revealing garments and repeatedly "claims" her as his own (even though Feyre and Tamlin have a relationship). Again and again from him we see what is really manipulative and abusive behaviour. And yet people ship them?! Apparently ACOMAF "explains" this behaviour or justifies it but that excuse just reminds me of something Jake Perralta once said
In addition I feel that this book is particularly harmful because it is marketed as a romance towards a teen audience. Many teens may just be experience the first blossoms of love/romance and media like this sends the message that abusive relationships are romantic. The relationships in the book are just so unhealthy and it genuinely scares me that young people might think its okay- and even want it for themselves.

What are your guy's thoughts? Have you ever been hesitant to post something you know is unpopular? Any thoughts on this particular book? Let me know in the comments! 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read ACOTAR yet, but definitely plan to (that's why I didn't read under your spoiler cut, sorry!). I don't mind hearing about unpopular opinions because I know that I have certainly had them in the past and that there will always be someone that loves a book someone else hates.

    ReplyDelete