Tuesday, 16 February 2016

The Impostor Queen


By: Sarah Fine
Published: January 5th, 2016
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Bought (for my birthday!)
My Rating: 4 /5

Synopsis

Sixteen-year-old Elli was a small child when the Elders of Kupari chose her to succeed the Valtia, the queen who wields infinitely powerful ice and fire magic. Since then, Elli has lived in the temple, surrounded by luxury and tutored by magical priests, as she prepares for the day when the Valtia perishes and the magic finds a new home in her. Elli is destined to be the most powerful Valtia to ever rule. (x)

My Thoughts

First off, every time I tried to look up this book on Goodreads or Chapters I could never find it because I was spelling it impostEr. I don't know if I've actually ever seen it spelled impostOr but my dictionary says either is right. Did anyone else have this problem?

I was super interested in the premise behind this book. In this world, there are magic wielders who have a mix of fire and/or ice magic. Some people have more of one, and there are varying strengths of magic too. The main character Elli is training to become the next Valtia, who is the queen, and the most powerful magic wielder. The Valtia's job is to use her magic to protect the people. I found this idea of magic was super interesting. It was a very specific type of magic which I haven't seen much of before!

I loved Elli, she was such a compelling, interesting character and I found her voice was extremely well-written. She was just one of those characters that you couldn't help but connect too, and I especially loved her questioning mind and intense spirit. At the same time though she was very much a 16 year old girl, who had her periods of questioning and doubt. All this together just helped to make her into such a well-developed, realistic character.

Probably one of my favourite things about this story, and about Elli is that she is bisexual! I know right now there is a huge push for diverse books, especially those featuring LGBTQ+ characters. What I absolutely LOVED about this story was that this was a fantasy story featuring a bi main character. So often diverse books are contemporary stories about the hard lives of the characters and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's so nice to see an LGBTQ+ character outside of this setting, and in a world filled with magic and royalty. Also Elli's bisexuality is really well written, there is very little doubt that she loves both men and women, and having it spelled out so clearly is really important.

Not only is Elli well written, she is surrounded by an amazing cast of supporting characters, that I couldn't help but falling in love with. It was super interesting to learn about the magic and more of the world with Elli (who was largely ignorant of much of her world due to living in the Temple her whole life). Sarah Fine was absolutely phenomenal with her spell-binding writing and fascinating characters. I wanted to follow their journey and root for them.


This book was an absolutely fantastic blend of fantasy, magic and mystery. I would highly recommend it to readers who are interested in high-fantasy, unique magic or LGBTQ+ characters.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the sound of this one!!! :) I have seen so many wonderful reviews for it and it sounds like the kind of book I will absolutely love. I adore fantasy books, especially when they have great world building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so great and there is going to be a companion novel too! I would definitely recommend reading it!

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this book I have been meaning to buy this since Feb but keep putting it off, I didn't know about the LGBTQ element it's not something I have found often in YA Fantasy.

    Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete