Thursday, 11 February 2016

Book Talk: Little Women and Me


By: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Status: DNF

I decided that since I actually DNF this book I would just do a little book talk instead. I found this book to be so disappointing and was not impressed with it at all- so I thought- what would make it better? How would I change it? And those are the questions I am going to answer in this post!

My (Shortened) Thoughts

The basic idea behind this book held alot of promise and I was very excited to read it. I enjoy retellings of classics and since Little Women is one of my all time favourites I thought I would enjoy this book but sadly I did not.

I had two main problems with this book, the first being the annoying main character. I've been a teenager and spent a lot of time with them and have never met any real person as annoying and whiny as Emily. Reading any of her parts was agonizing and made me zone out. So much so that I actually ended up flipping through the last half just to see how it ended.

My second problem was how Little Women was referred to. Since this book was obviously marketed as a Little Women retelling you wouldn't expect the author to blatantly refer to its as "a stupid book" (there was an actualy sentence with this wording!) The entire time Emily whined about the story, complained and made fun of the story. Probably not the best way to write a story whose audience is a fan of the story you are trashing ?!? As well most of this book was just Little Women with a few sentences or a paragraph here and there inserting Emily to the story- it was not original AT ALL.

So while the premise behind this was sooo interesting this book and its writing definitely missed the mark. Very disappointing overall

How to Change It

The other day while I was in the shower I was thinking (as one does in the shower) and I was thinking about what makes me love books. In doing so I realized that I have NEVER read a book that had dragons that turned out to be horrible! 

Which made me think about this book (being the last book I read that I did not enjoy) and I realized that it could have had so much potential! Just think, if you are going to fundamentally change the plot of a classic why not go wild? 

If you're going to insert a time traveler why not play with the rules of the time continuum? I can just see Emily trying to change the story of Little Women, and maybe being successful. What if the next day she woke up to screaming because there was a crack in the sky and the town was being attacked by dragons? Then in order to save the town/story Emily and the March sisters had to band together to use their unique skills to save everyone, defeat (or tame!) the dragons. 

Why not make Jo become a fearless dragonrider, while Beth could be the one who helps to tame the dragons (her sweet nature draws everyone/everything in), Amy might have a little dragon and be a messenger around town. Of course Marmie would bond with the queen dragon and rule them all together with her and her dragon's wisdom. And Meg would serve as a go between, helping the people to come to terms with their new lifes that features amazing, beautiful dragons. 

I feel like if you are going to try and develop such a classic story you need to push the boundaries and mix things up and if Little Women and Me had really stretched things and done something (like my idea with the dragons) it would have been so amazing! 

Have you guys ever read a book that's disappointed you? Have you ever thought about what you would change in a book to make it better or more interesting? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment