Saturday, 14 November 2015

Heir of Fire

Heir of Fire


By:  Sarah J. Maas
Published: September 2nd 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Source: Bought
My Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis 

*spoilers for book one and two!*

Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth...a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever. (x)


My Thoughts


Wow, just wow. I wasn't sure if Maas could beat Crown of Midnight because I LOVED that book but oh boy does Heir of Fire represent! Its the first book to really have multiple perspectives in the series and at first I found that was a bit jarring and some of the characters I didn't care for as much but by the end oh boy- I pretty much love everyone! I guess that is one of the perks of being a BIG book (its 565 pages!!!), there was definitely lots of character development!

The main perspectives of the story are Chaol, Dorian, Celaena, and Manon (a Blackbeak witch). One of my biggest pet peeves in stories with multiple perspectives is when something really intense happens with one character and then you jump to another character doing something boring. Maas however has perfected her chapters and, especially as the book went on, the next chapter was always who I wanted to hear from! Yeah!

After Crown of Midnight I wasn't sure if my emotions could handle another book but it was actually super fantastic because I felt that my emotions were very much mirrored in the characters and we both grew from the trauma of book 2 (I know I get oddly attached to fictional characters!) While I have 100% never been in any of the situations of the characters I empathized with them and I really felt that I shared their hopes and fears and joys. I wanted to them to be happy and to triumph and to heal. I got so caught up in the characters and their stories that I oftentimes would make myself NOT read it because I knew if I started I wouldn't want to stop and then I would find the next morning had arrived without me sleeping! Even with that though it only took me a month to read- which given its size and the busyness of school is pretty impressive!

I did worry that this book would be too big and intimidating for me. When I'm at school I find that big books tend to put me off (probably because all my textbooks are 2000+ pages). At first I found Heir of Fire has really different pacing from the other books, it was definitely a lot slower and not as tense. However as the book went on it definitely moved to a faster pace, and I think that part of that had to do with how my attachment to the characters grew as I read. I actually found myself LOVING how big this book is. How many times have you read a book and just wanted more time with your favourite characters? I know I've felt that way a lot but with Heir of Fire it was perfect! I mean I will always want more if I love the characters (and I do!) but it didn't leave me wishing for more time with them.

This book made me laugh and cry and grimace and I even found myself stroking it as I read which is not a usual habit for me! The other thing I noticed is that there were several passages I read more than once. I would read it for the first time and then go back and read it again and maybe again. It wasn't because I didn't understand it or it didn't make sense or anything- it was just SO GOOD that I needed to experience it again, have it permanently etched into my brain.

So in case you couldn't tell from my review- I would 400% recommend this book/series! Especially if you love high fantasy, YA, warrior ladies, and big books!

No comments:

Post a Comment