Saturday, 28 November 2015

Heart's Journey

Heart's Journey


By:  Kristen McKendry
Published: October 2nd, 2015
Publisher: Covenant Communications
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis

Adventure is in her blood, so when wealthy eighteen-year-old Rachel Hamilton’s treasure hunting father disappears in the wilderness of British Columbia, she considers only one course of action: she will embark on a quest to find him. But for a well bred woman with little understanding of the world beyond her upper class existence, the harsh realities of the trail quickly become apparent. Woefully unprepared for the hardships of crossing a wild and unsettled continent, Rachel is hungry, lost, and distraught when handsome frontiersman Peter finds her in the middle of nowhere. (x)


My Thoughts

The description of this book drew me in right away, it pretty much had everything that I love in a story. It was historical fiction, set in Canada- in Western Canada even! Plus it followed a spunky young woman on her travels across the country and a very handsome, kind man she meets along the way! There was also something about the cover that just really connected with me- maybe its because I'm a mountain girl at heart or maybe its because of my fascination with Canadian history. The cover has a very beautiful simplicity to it. 

I loved that whenever the setting was described I found myself nodding along because that is definitely Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC! I get how people might not understand just how tall the grass grows in the prairies, they assume its an exaggeration but my brother and I used to play hide and seek in the grass fields when we were kids! As well I've learned a lot about the history of this part of the country and I really liked to see how there were historically accurate elements with the various methods of travel and the harshness of the living off the land. 

 I loved how spunky Rachel is and how determined she is to keep going on her journey, even though things are super tough. The story line was kind of predictable, I did pretty much guess what was going to happen but I didn't mind that. The characters were very compelling and even if I could guess what was going to happen to them, I still definitely wanted to find out for sure what happened. I probably looked silly whenever I read this book in public because the relationship between Rachel and Peter had me grinning. They had such a kind, wholesome relationship and yet they fought and argued and glared at each other and that made their relationship seem so real. I think its safe to say that Peter is my newest book crush!

I would definitely recommend this book to all my friends looking for a 'university read'- an engaging, entertaining story with characters you can't help but love and a story that draws you in, without being a difficult read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment