Thursday, 22 October 2015

Carnelian

By:  B. Kristin McMichael 
Published: January 9th, 2014
Publisher: Lexia Press
Source: Netgalley |Thank you Lexia Press!|
My Rating: 3 out of 5

Synopsis

Everyone has a past, but for most it isn’t as long ago as Seth Sangre. His past is literally thousands of years ago. Seth’s life led him to the present seeking something that might help him save his country from destruction. He has been in the present for over three years now and just found exactly what he has been looking for.

Mari had dreams that college will be a fresh start, one where she would start over and not fall for the good looking player like high school. Unfortunately for her, that’s exactly what ends up falling into her lap on the first day she moves into the dorms. Now she has to hold to her promise to herself and not fall for the handsome Seth. (more from Goodreads)




My Thoughts

First off- the cover on this book is so pretty! Those colours work so well together and it definitely draws your eyes to the cover. 

I found that the writing was a bit slow and stilted feeling at first. As I read more the flow definitely picked up but it still was just a little but odd. The biggest thing I noticed was that a lot of the time the same information was repeated several times. That's not necessarily a problem but it happened over and over again, which got old very fast. There were definitely  moments when the writing could have been simplified to get the message across better, instead of the same thing being said five sentences in a row. 

That being said there were things that I enjoyed about this book. The premise really intrigued me but at the same time I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. One of the things that I really liked about it was that it was set in a university setting, which is something you don't always see. I thought that Mari was a fairly realistic character and was pretty happy with how her and the college students where portrayed. As someone who is in her third year of university I can definitely say that Mari and Sim and the others are realistic college students. A lot of the time my biggest pet peeve is how easy they make university seem, but with Mari's homework and Sim's tiredness/hatred of mornings, this was definitely not the case! 

At times I felt that there could have been more details, or more development of the characters and stories. There were definitely things that I wanted to know more about but never really got the answers to. It was a fairly short novel and so maybe there just wasn't time in the number of pages to add more depth. However, the characters and plot that there was made me want to keep reading. I genuinely wanted to know what happened to the characters and to figure out what just what was going to happen! I think that the uniqueness of the story-line and all the aspects of the book were what drew me in- I just wish that there had been more! 

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quicker read, who like time-travel stories or stories set in a realistic university setting!


No comments:

Post a Comment