Friday, 18 September 2015

Cat Sense

By: John  Bradshaw
Published: September 9th, 2014
Source: Christmas present!
My Rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis


In Cat Sense, renowned anthrozoologist John Bradshaw takes us further into the mind of the domestic cat than ever before, using cutting-edge scientific research to dispel the myths and explain the true nature of our feline friends. (more from Goodreads)

My Thoughts


First things first I should say that I am an avid cat lover, growing up in the country we had many, many mousers but I loved each and every one of them!

So I got this book for my birthday and started reading it right away. I thought that certain portions were a bit too long or in depth especially during the historical/genealogy chapters. There was so much information in there that I actually am not 100% sure which type of wildcat the domestic cat is actually descended from. But I really enjoyed the chapters on cat behavior because I could think back to my kitties and remember them doing that same thing! Or it made me understand the reason behind the things that they do! Hopefully now when we have kittens in the spring we can help them to be the greatest cats ever! (although our past kittens were pretty great anyway)

One of the stats I thought was interesting was the less than 1/10 cats likes having its belly rubbed- at our house 2/3 LOVE having their belly rubbed! So maybe my cats are just crazy. 

I was really enjoying this book and moving along quickly with it- until I got to the end. There was such a focus on how cat’s hunting is bad and that we need to stop them from doing that and that in the future we need to suppress their hunting instinct. And it just bothered me, our cats are pets but they are also mousers. And that is important they keep the mice and other rodents from ruining our hay and from wrecking the house. So that would be my only complaint- it was sooo good up until then and then it seemed quite biased and I didn’t enjoy that aspect of it.

But if you like cats or are interested in animal behavior then I would recommend that you try this book out!

No comments:

Post a Comment