Monday, 16 March 2015

Visions

Visions



By: Kelley Armstrong
Published: August 19th, 2014
Publisher: Random House Canada
Source: Bought
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Synopsis

In the second book in bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's exciting new Cainsville series, Olivia's newly discovered power to read omens leads to the discovery of a gruesome crime with troubling connections to her hometown.

"Omens," the first installment in Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series, introduced Olivia Taylor-Jones, daughter of notorious serial killers, and Gabriel Walsh, the self-serving, morally ambiguous lawyer who became her unlikely ally. Together, they chased down a devious killer and partially cleared her parents of their horrifying crimes.

Their success, however, is short lived. While Olivia takes refuge in the old, secluded town of Cainsville, Gabriel's past mistakes come to light, creating a rift between them just when she needs his help the most. (read more on Goodreads)


My Thoughts

I was introduced to the Cainsville series by my very best bookish friends (yeah for Jess and Tay!) and upon learning that Kelley Armstrong is also a Canadian author, I couldn't get enough of her books! Since then I have read: Sea of Shadows, Visions, the Summoning and the Awakening. 

The Cainsville series is a pretty serious departure from the kind of books I normally read. The supernatural elements were typical of what I might read but the horror elements where definitely different from my norm. There were times when I would skip through some of the more descriptive passages (mostly because that's not my thing and if I read it late at night it kind of freaks me out!).
            
But after reading Omens I fell in love with Olivia and Gabriel and the cute but quirky elders of Cainsville and so I knew that I had to keep reading the series. The mystery element was also very intriguing to me, so despite the fact that horror isn't my go to genre I really enjoyed these books!
          
  Probably my favourite thing about this series is the character development of both Olivia and Gabriel (but especially Gabriel). They are both such complex, deep characters and in this book Kelley really was able to explore their characters at a deeper level. And while I read Visions hoping to get answers to all  my questions from Omens I feel like I just ended up with new questions!

So I would recommend this book (series) to people who enjoy horror (or even just a good book with supernatural elements), well-developed characters, murder mysteries and intriguing, complex mysteries in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment