Thursday, 24 July 2014

Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass



By: Sarah J Maas
Published: May 7th 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: Bought
My Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world


My Thoughts


I was super hesitant to read Throne of Glass because I had been told by several people that it was a fantastic book. Recently the books that I have read that are surrounded by a lot of hype, haven't lived up to it for me. So I was a bit scared to try this one!

But I bought it and had it on my pile to read and one of my friends from university read it and recommended it to me. At that point in time we had discovered that we both loved the exact same books so I decided to trust her judgement- and I am glad that I did!

Sarah J Maas writes a complete and intricate story in Throne of Glass.  Ever since I read my first Tamora Pierce book I have loved to read stories about women who are fighters or go against their societies ideas of what women should do. That was one of the things that initially drew me to Celaena and her characters as a master assassin (and the youngest in the country!).  But at the same time Celaena wasn't always a super stoic,  'strong' character. She had her moments of weakness and her moments where she was just the young girl that she is (dressing up for the ball, staring in her mirror). There were moments where I wanted to give Celaena a smack on the head because she was so full of herself- even though she couldn't go on a morning run without throwing up her breakfast. Obviously she had been the best fighter out there but she spent a year at a death prison. Come on girl- you have to realize that you're not in the same shape you used to be!

I also understand all the fangirling about Chaol (although his name reminds me of one of the names for Hell in the Bible...). What is it about captain of the guards that is so attractive? Hector from Rae Carson's Girl of Fire and Thorns series is also a super sweet, nice, kind, strong altogether lovable dude like Chaol. Maybe they are related. Maybe that's part of their job description!

At the same time the plot was so complex and full- I just loved it! If Maas had written a story with just one of the major plot drivers (assassins competition or the other thing) Throne of Glass would have been a good book. Instead she masterfully combined and wove together both aspects of the plot.  Even though I was reluctant to pick this book up I was even more reluctant to put it down once I started reading it!

So I would recommend this book (and series!) to Tamora Pierce fans, readers of high fantasy and people looking for some awesome girl representation!

No comments:

Post a Comment