Monday, 16 June 2014

Dog Gone, Back Soon

Dog Gone, Back Soon



By: Nick Trout
Publisher: Hachette Books
Source: Netgalley | Thanks to Hachette Books! |
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis

When Dr. Cyrus Mills returned home after inheriting his estranged father's veterinary practice, The Bedside Manor for Sick Animals, the last thing he wanted was to stay in Eden Falls, Vermont, a moment longer than absolutely necessary. However, the previously reclusive veterinarian pathologist quickly found that he actually enjoyed treating animals and getting to know the eccentric residents of the tiny provincial town-especially an alluring waitress named Amy.  (more on Goodreads)

My Thoughts


This was a nice quick read that was pretty fun to read. I have loved animals since I was a tiny, little girl and so it was fun to find a book that focused on a vet and his animal practice. I definitely would have enjoyed more though. More in depth discovery and exploration of characters, motives etc. But in terms of short, lighter read I thought that it was well done.

The storyline was pretty simple and not all that unpredictable (besides from the vet diagnoses- I couldn't guess those!). At times it felt pretty disjointed- like I was missing a page or two from the story. This is also the second book by the author about the main character Cyrus Mills so perhaps if I had read the other one first it would have made more sense to me.  I really loved that it was set in a small town because as someone who grew up in a small community it was nice to see. That part of the story was definitely very well written!

The characters were fairly shallow in my opinion. They had the makings of being great, deep and complex characters but I think Trout didn't take it quite far enough. Cyrus in particular would have been fascinating to have been explored more. Trout wrote him fairly well but I just kept finding myself wanting more!

This book was a nice light read but didn't grab me as well as I thought it could have. I would recommend it to animal lovers, people looking for lighter short reads or are interested in books with a small town dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment