Saturday, 14 June 2014

Book to Film: TFIOS

The Fault In Our Stars Movie


As most people probably know by now John Green's critically acclaimed novel The Fault in Our Stars, which tells the story of two teenagers with cancer, has been made into a movie. So many readers (both young and old) have fallen in love with Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster. You might even say that they "fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly at first and then all at once".

I was lucky enough to get to go to the movie the weekend it come out. I was even luckier to go with my best friend of 14 years! :)

The Book

My thoughts on the book can be found in the this review. For some more specific thoughts on my feelings about Augustus and Isaac's friendship go here.

The Movie

Some quick movie specs: The movie is approximately 125 minutes long and had a 12 million dollar budget (which is apparently relatively low?!?).

I really enjoyed this movie. I was a huge fan of the book and was pretty worried about how it might turn out because the past few book to movie adaptations to recieve a lot of hype have been very disappointing to me as a book reader. I was aware that John Green was very proud of the movie and that he thought it was very true to the book so I was hoping that this would be true. And it was. 

At first when I heard the casting news I was sort of feeling unsure about it.  I'd seen Shailene Woodley in The Descendants and Divergent and while I enjoyed both performances I couldn't really she her as Hazel. I'd only seen Ansel in Divergent and I didn't particularly like his character and I couldn't see past the whole brother-sister in Divergent and then love interests in TFIOS





But Shailene was stunning. As I watched the movie she wasn't an actress playing a character, she WAS Hazel. And that was beautiful!
And Ansel became Augustus Waters and I can't imagine anyone else but them as Hazel and Gus. SO kudos to the casting directors because they made this movie happen in my mind!

I loved the how they portrayed the story, how there were moments of Hazel talking in her head and how well that was portrayed, how it was easy to see what Augustus and Hazel were texting. I thought the music was okay (half the time I couldn't understand the lyrics but...)

The thing that frustrated me about this movie was the amount of publicity it got. By the time I watched the movie I felt like I had seen the majority of the beginning and most of the important/iconic scenes from the beginning. It got to a point where I just stopped watching the new 'exclusives' because I wanted the movie to be a suprise. (Yes I knew the storyline already but I wanted to see it acted outside my head for the first time all at once, instead of the little snippets). And I feel like there was also sooo much hype about crying at the movie that it actually kept my tears in check? I mean, I cried but not as much as I thought I would. 

This is what I imagined I'd be:

But I was more this
But I still really, really enjoyed it!

Have you seen the movie? Any thoughts that were similar/different from mine? Leave them in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment