Tuesday, 8 April 2014

The Here And Now

Happy Book Birthday: The Here and Now


By: Ann Brashares
Publisher: Delacourte Press
Published: Today! (April 8th)
Source: Netgalley |Thank you to Random House Children| 
My Rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins. (rest on Goodreads)

My Thoughts 

I requested a copy of this book on Netgalley and was given the chance to review this book. This in no way affected my opinion of the novel.

Guess what?! Today is The Here and Now's book birthday so I hope after you read my review that you'll go to your local bookstore and pick it up!

I was super interested in this book when I saw up on Netgalley, it seemed like a really interesting concept. I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels (and the society that Prenna comes from is definitely that) and recently I've been on more a sci-fi kick.  

Normally I'm not a huge fan of pure romance books or books that have a large focus on romance but The Here and Now had a nice mix of the time-travel elements and the romance between Ethan and Prenna. There was enough mystery and intrigue guiding the plot-line to keep me interesting in the story. But the relationship between Ethan and Prenna was also really sweet and I wanted to root for them so bad. I also was able to connect to the characters of the story which made me stay up late a few nights so that I could find out what happens to them! 

The book was a fairly short read, which was actually quite nice. It was the perfect book for me because I don't have large chunks of time to read but when I was able to I could still feel like I was getting some sizeable reading done. 

Overall the novel was very well-written. The plot was intriguing and fast-paced, with plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested. I'd recommend this to people who enjoy lighter sci-fi, romance and prefere shorter reads. 

Another book that is celebrating its birthday is The Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong. And since you can't just buy one book- I'd suggest getting these two together!

No comments:

Post a Comment