Monday, 21 April 2014

Save the Date: Second Star

Second Star

By:  Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Publishing Date: May 13th, 2013
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Source: Netgalley |Thank you to Macmillan Children's!|
My Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis

A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. (rest on Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I requested a copy of this book on Netgalley and was given the chance to review this book. This in no way affected my opinion of the novel.

First off- isn't the cover of this book gorgeous? I absolutely love the colour scheme that its got going on. It really reminds me of the ocean during sunset with the pinky-gold colour and the way you can almost see the light bouncing off the water towards you.

But beautiful cover aside, this book was phenomenal. I was super interested to see how the Sheinmel would work the Peter Pan retelling into a modern day setting. I really enjoyed how it was done, the story wasn't just Peter Pan with all the settings and characters changed to be more modern. It was twisted and stretched, touching on points here and there that just made you think this IS Peter Pan! And of course its always fun to read along and get to a character of setting and realizing which part of the original Peter Pan story it was. Plot-wise Sheinmel wove an intricate story, full of unexpected twists. It was impossible to stop thinking about what was happening in the book even when you weren't reading!

Wendy Darling, the main character is exceptionally well written.  She had great depth and emotion and there was something about her that drew me to her. I couldn't help but love her and empathize with her. Even when I wasn't reading the book I found myself wondering what was going on with Wendy and how she was doing. So I ended up taking very long study breaks just so that I could find out what happens next! 

I would recommend this book to lovers of contemporary novels, beach reads, summer reads, romance stories, Peter Pan and people who enjoy re-tellings of classics!

Second Star comes out May 13th- make sure to save the date on your calendar!



No comments:

Post a Comment