Sunday, 30 March 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault In Our Stars


By: John Green
Published: January 10th, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Source: Bought
My Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Thoughts

This was actually my second time reading The Fault In Our Stars. I friend asked to borrow it and I decided that I should re-read it before I lent it to her so that we could talk about it after. There are many quotes that I love from TFIOS but since I don't have my book with me, I will (possibly) add them in later!

I remember seeing TFIOS in the bookstore for a while before I finally decided to pick it up- and I am sure glad that I did! For a middle-aged man, John Green writes teenagers, spectacularly well. I would be hard pressed to find another author who writes such REAL teenagers. There were two moments that come to mind for me that were just sort of  AH-HA moments regarding the absolute real-ness of Hazel.

Moment 1-  Hazel uses the phrase "freaking incredible" (or something along those lines) and the young people I know, use that phrase a lot!

Moment 2- When Hazel gets a letter from her favourite author, she yells WHAT IS LIFE? and freaks her mom out but this is such a young thing to say. (I have a similar response when I get responses from my favourite authors)

There are so many more moments in this book that I love. It has beautiful, serious, quotes that are widely applicable to life and then there are real teenager quotes that make me giggle. (like " I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly and then all at once" and "hump the wall") 

Hazel and Augustus know at some point that they will die. This is an inevitability for them both but they choose not to wallow in that, not to be your stereotypical 'cancer- hero'. And I think that this is important because it shows a realistic portrayal of cancer and having to live with it. I also think that it shows how parents (both Augustus and Hazel's) deal and cope with their child having cancer, and the knowledge that you can't do anything to stop it.

I particularly found it interesting to read after reading Esther Earl's book This Star Won't Go Out. John has said that TFIOS is not Esther's story but the novel is dedicated to her, and I can see some parallels, but also some very different aspects of Esther's and Hazel's stories. I can see Esther in Hazel but they are also very, very different individuals with different stories.

The Fault In Our Stars is not a 'happy' story, but it is real. And that is what makes it so incredible. I'd recommend this book to everyone, regardless of your usual genre or reading preference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment