Sunday, 9 March 2014

Save the Date: Sea of Shadows

Sea of Shadows


By: Kelley Armstrong
Published: April 8th 2014
Source: Netgalley |Thanks to Random House Canada!|
My Rating: 4 out of 5



Synopsis

In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.

Only this year, the souls will not be quieted. (more at Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I requested a copy of this book on Netgalley and was given the chance to review this book. This in no way affected my opinion of the novel.

Sea of Shadows was a bit of a departure for me but I'm also a fan of Kelley Armstrong's books so when I saw the chance to read it- I took it. The other thing that really made me want to read this book is that it had twins. A book having twins pretty much means that I have to read it- regardless of whether or not it's my normal type of book! Now for some more book talk:


What I Liked

I absolutely loved both Ashyn and Moria. There characters were so unique and dynamic and their twin relationship felt very real it me. In fact they reminded me of a set of twins that I know! Also I loved that they were each bonded to an animal, in our world people can form bonds with animals and it was cool to see it taken even further with Tova and Diago.  I loved the spunkiness of the girls, their desire to do their duty and protect the people they love. As well as the twins interactions with others it was interesting to see how they interacted with Gavril and Ronan- both of whom are sort of outsiders. The exploration of that dynamic was very well done. The storyline was darker than a lot of what I read but it was well-paced and captivating. I may have stayed up late many nights just to read! The switching viewpoints was very well done. Normally I'm not a fan of it but Armstrong did a fantastic job!

What I Didn't Like

There was many mentions of blood, which kind of wierded me out but I also realize that comes with the genre/story but it wasn't my favourite. I also found that there were times when there would be several chapters of one twin and I just really wanted to know what was happening to the other! Other scenes felt rushed and I would have liked to see more depth and description to them.

Overall I would recommend this book to people who are fans of Armstrong's past books, or who like the fantasy genre and don't mind a dash of gruesome! So save the date (April 8th) and head out to your local bookstore!


No comments:

Post a Comment