Tuesday, 25 March 2014

City of A Thousand Dolls

City of A Thousand Dolls

By: Miriam Forster
Published: February 5th 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Gift | Friends
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Synopsis

Nisha was abandoned at the gates of the City of a Thousand Dolls when she was just a child. Now sixteen, she lives on the grounds of the isolated estate, where orphan girls apprentice as musicians, healers, courtesans, and, if the rumors are true, assassins. Nisha makes her way as Matron’s assistant, her closest companions the mysterious cats that trail her shadow. Only when she begins a forbidden flirtation with the city’s handsome young courier does she let herself imagine a life outside the walls. Until one by one, girls around her start to die. (more at Goodreads)

My Rating

This book had caught my eye when it first came out but then it got lost among all the other books coming out and I sort of forgot about it. Fast forward almost a year to my birthday when my best friend gave me City of A Thousand Dolls. I was super excited to read it because it sounded pretty cool and there were cats! (I am a huge fan of cats!)

I liked that it was set in an Asian world because the majority of the books I read are set in the States or American societies/worlds. The world building was pretty unique but also drew strong parallels with China (and maybe Japan?). The different houses that trained the girls were a nice idea but sometimes I got confused about what each house was. I'm still not sure exactly how many houses there were- 5? Maybe 6? This might be partly because I picked this book up, then put it down because of school craziness and then picked it up again and I just started where I left off. So that might not have been the best idea!

I loved that cats and the fact that Nisha could communicate with them because I am positive that my cats talk to me, plus cats are just the best animal in general.

This book is a bit of a fantasy- murder mystery but I did find myself forgetting that Nisha was actually trying to solve murders because there is so much drama surrounding Nisha. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I guess it depends on what kind of book you are looking for! It definitlely wasn't a murder mystery in the traditional sense because there isn't really any set up of concrete suspects that you would usually find. I was pretty shocked at the end! But that's all I'm going to say because SPOILERS!

So I would recommend this book to anyone who might be in a reading slump and is looking to get out (that was totally me!), or enjoys books set in Asia, fantasy, murder mysteries, or books with CATS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment