Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Wither

Wither



By: Lauren DeStefano
Published: March 22nd 2011
My Rating: Honestly I Don't Know What To Say


Synopsis

By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. (rest on Goodreads)

My Thoughts

If I had to give this book a rating it would get 5 out of 5. But I just couldn't give it any concrete rating because there was just something so unique about it. When I started reading this book within a few chapters I felt like I'd already read this book- and not in the I-have-read-this-plot-50-billion-times way. It was like this book was an old friend, one that I'd known since I was little and read and reread over and over. The really odd thing is that this the first time I read Wither.
But weird feelings aside this book was very good. I absolutely loved Rhine, she was feisty and independent and no meek princess. It was interesting to see the dynamic between Rhine and her other sister wives- I particularly liked the emphasis on the 'sister' wives. The other thing that I found particularly unique about the story line is the moral dilemma it caused for me. 
*mild spoilers*
The idea of stealing girls for brides obviously freaks me out as a young woman but at the same time *spoiler-ish here* Linden wasn't really to blame because he didn't know. Does that make it okay  or right in some way? I just don't know! A small part of me did wonder why society didn't just regress into the olden times and have everyone just marry the people they love at a younger age. But that wouldn't make nearly as nice a story!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who has past love for dystopian fiction featuring a pretty awesome young woman or to someone who is looking into venturing into the world of Young Adult literature and dystopians!

No comments:

Post a Comment