Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Rebel Heart

Rebel Heart (Dustlands #2)


By: Moira Young
Published: October 30th 2012 
My Rating: DNF

Synopsis

Saba thought her world would return to normal after they defeated the Tonton and rescued her kidnapped brother Lugh. The family head west for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But a formidable enemy is on the rise. What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants?

My Thoughts

I read Blood Red Road (Dustlands #1) on the recommendation of a friend and I liked it. I just got around to starting the second book and I really struggled with it. I got about halfway through before I gave up and started something more interesting (since I have a lot of books to read).
I found that the way the book is written in a vernacular with no punctuation around dialogue to be very jarring. Oftentimes I struggled to figure out who was talking and what they were actually saying because there was no punctuation.  Even more disappointing is the fact that I got halfway through and nothings has really happened. Saba's moved around a bit and Lugh's been a jerk but really if anyone asked me whats been happening I'd shrug.
I also found Lugh to be very annoying, everything about him grates me the wrong way. I get that he has a right to be angry but the entire book (that I actually read) he was an entitled asshole (and that's putting it nicely!) 
So overall I'd say I was very disappointed in this book- I might not even try to pick it up again.
Have you read it? If so what were your thoughts on the writing style and on Lugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment