Friday, 31 January 2014

Fangirl

Fangirl 


By: Rainbow Rowell
Published: September 10th 2013
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. ( complete synopsis on Goodreads)

My Thoughts 

I genuinely enjoyed this book but for reasons I just felt that I couldn't give it a full 4 stars. In order to understand my thoughts better I'm going to split it up into what I liked and what I didn't like.
 
What I Liked: As I've mentioned before I am a sucker for twin novels and I really enjoyed seeing a very different dynamic between Wren and Cath. Most books have twins that love each other and spend all their time together and while this oftentimes happens the opposite is also true. I loved the idea that it centered around fan fiction and being a fan because I find that very relatable. Every teenage girl and boy has fallen in love with something; whether its a book, movie, tv or sport. This just made Cath so much more relatable than many contemporary YA characters. I also thought the relationship between Cath and Levi was super cute and Levi seemed like he could be waiting just around the corner in real life. He was a nice guy not a brooding dark character that the female protagonist falls for. Which was a nice change.

What I Didn't Like: I realize that this is a work of fiction so its not necessarily supposed to be realistic but I found it to be a bit disappointing. Cath is a bit scared of Regan and then they talk and then they are buds for the rest of the book. As a university student I find this is super unrealistic; no matter how well you get along with your roommates you are going to get fed up with them, maybe have some arguements or maybe you just let it stew in your mind. So there was that. Also I disliked that Cath got a 4.0 GPA because it was her first semester in university, away from home and her family, she was on her own for the first time and she got perfect marks? Super unrealistic- unless you are a brainiac and never sleep and have mulitple nervous breakdowns this doesn't happen first semester of university. (Note: I am basing this off my own experience in the sciences and that a 4.0 GPA at my university is a 95+ average)


So while I enjoyed this book and the characters I did find its lack of realism to be a big turn-off. Have your read Fangirl? If so what are your thoughts on it? 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree, I think there was a definite lack of realism in Fangirl. I just couldn't connect to the characters or the story. The fanfiction really turned me off because I don't think we needed as much of it or anything of it to be honest. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete