Friday, 17 January 2014

Battle Magic

Battle Magic




By: Tamora Pierce
Published: September 24th 2013
My Rating: 5 out of 5


Synopsis

On their way to the first Circle temple in Gyongxe, mages Briar, Rosethorn, and Evvy pay a visit to the emperor's summer palace. Although treated like royalty when they first arrive, the mages soon discover that the emperor plans to invade Gyongxe, posing a fatal threat to the home temple of the Living Circle religion. Accompanied by one of the emperor's prize captives, the three mages rush to Gyongxe to warn its citizens of the impending attack. With the imperials hot on their trail, Briar, Rosethorn, and Evvy must quickly help the country prepare for battle. But even with the help of new allies, will their combined forces be enough to fight the imperial army and win the war? (from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I might be a little baised towards this book because I absolutely love all of Tamora Pierce's books. I have read and own every book by her or with a story written with her.
Ever since I read her The Circle Opens trilogy I fell in love with the world of Briar and his friends. I enjoy how unique there magic is- instead of creating spells they use the magic of a particular part of their world. For Briar and Rosethorn they use plants and Evvy uses stones. This book fills a gap that it comes after Street Magic but before the events of Melting Stones.
I loved being able to reimmerse myself into this world. The characters are just as lovable as every and the story is intricately woven  connecting events of the past book and future events we know have happened. I had really high hopes for this book, particularly since Mastiff (the last book of her Beka Cooper series) was so incredibly disappointing to me. Evvy was a sassy, spunky heroine and its lovely to see Briar and Rosethorn's relationship progress.
I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes books about magic (especially unique magic), 'strong' female characters, well-established character worlds and any fans of Tamora's past work!

No comments:

Post a Comment