Thursday, 26 December 2013

The Bone Season

The Bone Season

 
by: Samantha Shannon
Published: August 20th 2-13
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Synopsis

It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing. (find the rest of the synopsis at Goodreads!)

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book. I found its premise was very unique and it was quite different from a lot of the books that I have read recently. I think that Paige is a superb protagonist- she has her ups and downs, her goods and bads. One thing that I particularly liked was the exploration of her relationships with the people around her. I found that the relationships were very realistic and something that a young girl would go through.

One thing that I didn't like was the complexity of the world building (which is actually why I didn't give it a full five). The world was very beautiful and unique but there were several mentions of a type of clairvoyance where I had no clue what it actually was.  As well some of the characters had several names or very similar names that sometimes made me wonder who the heck they where.

So overall I'd say this book was excellent but could be confusing at times. If your looking for a deep complex read pick this book up! (But save it for later if your looking for something light hearted)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment