Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Books I'd recommend to anyone

From the lovely people over at The Broke and Bookish

The following list is of books that I would recommend to anyone, regardless of what they like to read because these books are just so awesome! They aren't necessarily listed with the best at number one or anything. Its just ten books you should read. Also most of them are going to be books I've read recently since I have a bad memory and all my books are at home so I can't look through them.

1. Harry Potter 

This books don't need a lot of explaining but I'll say a bit. They tell a beautiful story of friendship, teaching (subtly) important lessons on bravery and love. Plus there is magic and the female characters are so real- its a beautiful complex world that JK Rowling wrote so it is a must read in my books!

2. Incarnate (Series) ~ by Jodi Meadows

First off this cover is stunning, its definitely one of my all time favourite covers. The book is equally beautiful, telling the story of Ana- an outcast in her world because she is a new soul and everyone else has been reborn for thousands of years. Plus Sam (main guy character) is pretty cute!

3. The Fault in Our Stars ~ John Green

John Green tells the beautiful story of two teenagers living with cancer in this book. My favourite thing about this book (and John Green's other books) is how real the teenagers are. Things aren't all great and happy all the time. I think this book is an accurate description of how it feels to be a teenager. That being said I think that adults can also get a lot out of this book.

4.Code Name Verity~ Elizabeth Wein


I couldn't find a picture of the cover that my Code Name Verity has, I my cover way better. But this one will do. So this is a historical fiction book telling the story of a pilot and a spy during WWII. The thing is both of them are women. I'm partial to historical fiction and finding main characters like Maddie and Julie just makes it all the better!

5. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking~ by Susan Cain

So I don't even remember where I decided to pick up this book but I actually really enjoyed it. It gave me good insight on being an introvert and what that does and doesn't mean. For example it does mean that I get my energy from being by myself, and it doesn't mean that I am antisocial, don't enjoy talking to people, or a bad leader. So even if you are not an introvert I'd suggest reading this because half of the population is introverted and there is also some pretty interesting stuff on leadership in this book.

6. Girl of Fire and Thorns (Series)~ Rae Carson

There are three books in this series, the final book The Bitter Kingdom just came out in September. They tell the story of Elisa who is a young girl carrying a treasured Godstone, married off to a foreign king where live changes drastically for her. I just can't describe this book very well...let's just say its amazing and you should read it.

7. Anything by Tamora Pierce

This is not so much a book as an author you should read. (Tamora Pierce has not written a book titled Anything) I've read every book she has written and my bookshelf has a shelve dedicated to her. If your more into the magic of things I'd read her The Circle Opens series and if you prefer the warrior-awesome-heroine books I'd read anything set in her Tortall realm. 

8. To Kill a Mockingbird~Harper Lee

I first read this early on in junior high and then I had to re-read it in high school for English class. I was very surprised by the number of people who didn't like this book in my class because I thought it was a very powerful book. It's not all happy but its also not an awful depressing book. I think one of the best things about it is the family relationship between Atticus-Jem and Scout- its nice to see a single dad raising kids well in literature!

9. The Great Gatsby~F Scott Fitzgerald

So now that people actually have heard of this book because of the movie I'd suggest reading it first. I haven't seen the movie but I can guarantee the book will be better. Its set around the 1920's which is an era I enjoy and Fitzgerald has amazing storytelling abilities. I remember reading parts and yelling "WHAT?!?" and texting my friends who were also reading it.

10. Clockwork Princess ~Cassandra Clare

This is actually the final book in the series so I guess if you want to read it you'll have to read the other two as well! Normally reading the last book scares me a bit because it can either be good, okay or awful. Clockwork Princess was amazing and probably ranks in the top 3 of my favourite endings to a series. Also Will who is my Book Crush is in this series!


4 comments:

  1. Still need to read Clockwork Princess. Absolutely loved the other two. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love HP, TFIOS, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, and Clockwork Princess! I have yet to read the others but they are on my TBR list. Awesome picks!

    Emma @ Spun With Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list, I love The Fault in Our Stars and Harry Potter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, the Fire and Thorns series! I'm trying to get all of my friends to read that series but none of them will even give it a chance... I'm seriously going to end up friendless because I can't stop bugging them about it.

    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete