Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Rose Under Fire

Rose Under Fire~ Elizabeth Wein







A little bit about the book:

Rose Under Fire is a companion novel to her first book, Code Name Verity. We see the return of Maddie, and the introduction of a new character, Rose, who is also an ATA pilot. Written in a journal entry style with Rose's own poetry the book tells the story of Rose and her time in Ravensbruck, a notorious concentration camp for women in Nazi Germany. (I'm not great at doing book synopses) 



What I Thought:

 I really enjoyed Wein's Code Name Verity so when I saw Rose Under Fire I had to get it. (Even though I am a poor university student!)
I thought this book was very interesting and also unique. Most books set during WWII in the concentration camps focus on the plight of the Jews. This book focuses on other prisoners, in particular the French Resistance political prisoners. I found the different perspective was quite refreshing and historically interesting. While it is important to remember all the Jewish people who lost their lives,  I think that its also important to remember all the other groups, like gypsies, homosexuals, Catholics and political prisoners who also suffered in the concentration camps. 

All in all, for those who are interested in historical fiction/WWII I would highly recommend this book! (And Code Name Verity)

No comments:

Post a Comment